Tuesday 4 November 2008

Vintage Children for the Gothic arch challenge

Well today I have tried something new, well it's new for me, I have done my gothic arch challenge piece on canvas, I bought this especially for this arch, which I have thoroughly enjoyed making, I used a mix of 3 different coloured acrylic paints, ended up getting myself in a right mess, there was paint everywhere, still I suppose that is part of the fun ! once the paint was dry I stamped it with floral flourishes, the piece of printed paper at the top comes from a reprint book called " The School of Manners or Rules for Childrens Behaviour " which was first printed in 1701 and the original book is in the library at the Victoria and Albert Museum, its a great little book, certainly comes from the days that children were to be seen and not heard, the spelling was confusing when I first read it as they seem to have written some of the S 's in the shape of an f, still it was very interesting.
I also added cut out paper roses and lace, the picture of the children is from my collection which I printed onto photo paper, the printed paper at the bottom is from a book called " The Ode to Life "" this is a damaged first edition book that I got in a second hand shop for 20pence, someone has written inside the front cover, Easter Tide 1880 and signed it, this was published in the mid 1870s, I just love a bargain!
The second picture shows the inside page of this great little book

15 comments:

Femmy said...

beautiful arch!! great image!!!

Ginger said...

That is way to cute!! loved the childern on here has a very sweet look about it!! Add me to you friends list please at Gothic arches.
hugs ginger
Love your blog great job.

Willy said...

Beautiful and lovely arch!

Judy said...

Very sweet arch, Suze, love the autumnal colours & the lace makes for one gorgeous arch!
JudyNZ

Marva Plummer-Bruno said...

Suze - awesome arch! Love your little witches one too!

Sandy said...

OMG this is totally awesome.
So lovely arch.

Liesbeth Fidder said...

Wow, gorgeous arch ! Love the lace border ! Lovely !

Astrid Maclean said...

What a beautiful arch and what gorgeous images!!. I think this was the first time i visited your blog and i just wanted to let you know I really loved what i saw!!

Craftyideas said...

Gorgeous arch -love it

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your kind comment! Your arch is very lovely too.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful arch.

Heather Robinson said...

What a delightful arch. I just had to enlarge it to see all of the marvelous details and the very sweet and hilarious image.

Moira said...

Fabulous arch, the extracts from the o;d books are a lovely feature

Hermine said...

Beautifula rch

~*~Patty S said...

Such a beautiful arch, the lace makes a lovely border for those sweet children!